What are some interesting facts about Sikkim?
· Although Sikkim is an Indian state, it was supposed to be included in China, if India had not annexed the state.
· A total of 11 languages are official languages in Sikkim.
· Sikkim is the second-largest producer of cardamom.
· The first and only open defecation-free state is Sikkim.
· Sikkim houses the second-highest suspension bridge in Asia.
· Did you know? Sikkim is home to one of India's highest airports- Pakyong Airport at a height of 4500 ft.
How to reach Sikkim?
Although Sikkim is connected with every mode of transport, i.e. railways, roads, and flights, but reaching Sikkim by road might be the best way. Buses-government or private, taxis and jeeps, are frequently available. Highway 31 is a very developed highway that connects the state to neighboring tourist destinations as well. Although Siliguri and Jalpaiguri, are the only railway stations in Sikkim, they are very well-connected to all the major parts of the country. Pakyong Airport in Sikkim is only connected to Kolkata by flight. However, Bagdogra Airport connects to all the major cities. Thus, while planning your Sikkim tour package, you must wisely choose your mode of travel.
What can you do in Sikkim?
Sikkim not only offers breathtaking landscapes but also some of the best thrilling activities for "adventure junkies". Trekking to Goecha La is one of the most popular activities that tourists have done while visiting Sikkim. Rafting, Paragliding, Ropeway, are some other activities that visitors can indulge in while visiting Sikkim. Or you can just take a walk along the roads of the city, taking in all the mesmerizing scenes.
What is the best time to visit Sikkim?
Monsoons in Sikkim must be avoided at all costs, since there are risks of landslides and flash floods, due to the heavy downpours. Early winters, i.e. September to December, allow you to witness the snowfall, which makes the state more beautiful. March to June, i.e Summer is the best time to visit Sikkim, since the temperatures are moderate and the weather is pleasant. Adventure activities are also enjoyed fully during the summer season.
What is the cuisine of Sikkim?
The cuisine of Sikkim, although less spicy, offers a wide range of tastes and foods that are bound to satisfy your taste buds. Sikkimese Cuisine is a blend of cuisines from Nepal, Bhutan, and Tibet, and captures the taste, culture, and aromas of these cuisines. Momos and Thukpas form the staple diet of the state. Delicious soups, meat, and vegetable delicacies are also included in the diet.
What are some 'must-knows' before traveling to Sikkim?
· Although summer in Sikkim is pleasant, winters can be very harsh. So, you must prepare the necessary woolen clothes before planning your Sikkim tour.
· A Restricted Area Permit (RAP) or Inner Line Permit (ILP) is required for foreign travelers before visiting Sikkim. A Protected Area Permit (PAP) is required for international visitors who want to enjoy trekking in Sikkim.
· Indian citizens require a Protected Area Permit for visiting the whole of North Sikkim and some parts of East Sikkim.
· You must carry ID proofs with you while visiting Sikkim since some tourist spots require Id proofs.
· The present pandemic situation has also made it necessary for visitors to carry a negative RT-PCR report and Covid-19 vaccination certificates.